Since 2001, AEIFOROS’ aggregates from EAF slag have been used in any major roadworks in Greece, but also in airfield construction.
The production of coarse aggregates for road construction from EAF slag is financially viable for the producer and economically attractive to the customer since it is an abundant and accessible raw material.
The environmental benefits from the use of Electric Arc Furnace slag aggregates in road construction are the following;
- Energy saving.
- Saving of natural resources via the recycling of by-products of steel production.
- The alteration of natural landscape from excavation is avoided.
- The benefit of neutralisation of the acidic reaction compared to natural aggregates.
- Landfill of EAF slag is avoided and at the same time,
- Steel slag can be used in environmentally friendly applications and financially profitable activities.
Since 2001, AEIFOROS hard aggregates have been used in all major motorways and road construction projects in Greece (mainland and islands), such as Motorway Patra-Athens-Thessaloniki, Motorway Egnatia Odos ( Northern Greece West-East Motorway), Attiki Odos (Athens Ring Road), Peloponissos Motorways, etc.